Madeline's Grand Experiment

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Our Baby's in Kindergarten!
Yesterday was Olivia's first day of kindergarten. For the first day, they have the kids come in for half a day with their parents. So we spent the afternoon in kindergarten. Scott and I did pretty well with reviewing letters and numbers! Anyway, Olivia did pretty well overall; a lot shy, but I think it helped her out that we were all there together. We got to eat lunch at the cafeteria, and all I can say is that Scott said Oh Lord as we were waiting in line and my thought was Oh my gosh! This takes me back! The food smells the same, and tastes the same! And it made us realize that it's been a really long time since we had a school lunch.
At kindergarten they had us all wear nametags. Olivia quickly pointed out to me that I had misspelled my name. I looked at her and said huh? And she told me that my name is spelled M-O-M. It was really hard not to laugh, and I explained to her that other people call me Elena, not Mom. So she concluded that Little girls call you Mom and big girls call you Elena! That's right honey. I thought it was cute.
Finally at the end of the day, much to Scott's and my surprise, Olivia really wanted to ride the school bus home all by myself! So we let her: heck, if she wants to, we don't want to discourage that! So she rode the bus home and I met her at the drop-off spot near our house, and it turns out she loved the bus and told me that she even made a friend!
First day of kindergarten

Olivia felt it very important to show off her backpack!
So today is the first full day of school for Olivia. When she asked me this morning if I was going to go to school with her, I thought for sure she'd be upset, but when I told her no, she just said okay, and went about eating some breakfast. Bright and early at 7am she got onto the bus; I got to wait with her at 7am - yippee! And she was so excited to get on the bus and go to kindergarten! No tears or anything - this is such a relief to us. So we'll find out when she gets home around 4:00 this afternoon how today went for her. More later.
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Another Namtarts Blog said...

GREAT REPORT ON THE FIRST DAY FOR OLIVIA..she looks adorable and I'm so proud of her for riding the bus and then hopping back on the next day! This is a big event in the life of our Olivia...and I hope Scott finished his lunch without complaint! :) love Deb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home